SEPTEMBER FEATURE: Turning the county into the city? A proposed PUD triggers fears that rentals will cause a loss of ag character
People turned out in droves Aug. 8 to tell the Montezuma County commissioners they did not want rental homes in their neighborhood, apparently prompting the developer to withdraw his application. Read the story.
It’s theoretically possible, but officials say the chances are remote By Janneli F. Miller ©Four Corners Free Press “The river will break through above town and run down the highway and when it does my house is screwed.” “When … Continue reading
By Gail Binkly After 45 years in law enforcement, Montezuma County Sheriff Steve Nowlin is seeking four more years at the helm of the Sheriff’s Office. He was first elected in November 2014 and re-elected in 2018. If re-elected this … Continue reading
WHAT IS THE FREE PRESS?
A monthly publication delivering in-depth news, lively features, and thought-provoking columns on life in the Four Corners.
The Four Corners Free Press is an independent, alternative paper with real substance. Every month, we sink our teeth into meaty topics, providing in-depth, comprehensive news stories on important local and regional issues that affect our readers.
Here’s what you can find in the Four Corners Free Press:
- Thorough, balanced, in-depth news coverage by award-winning, experienced journalists who are familiar with the community and region.
- The liveliest Opinion section in the Four Corners, with a rotating group of columnists writing everything from serious political commentary to humor.
- A perennial readers' favorite: Our Crime Waves section describing local misdeeds. Crime Waves is available only in our print edition.
- A Health section with columns and articles on a variety of health and wellness topics.
- A comprehensive Arts & Entertainment section to tell our readers what’s going on in the Four Corners. We offer feature articles; reviews of books, music and movies; and calendars of cultural events, live music, and other happenings.
FOUR CORNERS FREE PRESS DISTRIBUTION LOCATIONS
* K&C Trading Post, 161 E. Main
* Books, 124 Pinon
* Burger Boy Drive In, 400 E. Main
* Cliffrose, 27885 Highway 160
* Colorado Welcome Center, 928 E. Main
* Cortez Public Library
* Cortez Recreation Center, 425 Roger Smith Ave.
* Cortez Livestock Auction, 12129 Highway 491
* Cortez Municipal Airport
* El Grande Café, 28 E. Main
* IFA, 10501 Highway 491
* Johnson Building, 925 S. Broadway
* Kokopelli Bike & Board, 30 W. Main
* Once Upon a Sandwich, 1 W. Main
* Pippo's Cafe, 100 W. Main
* Post Office, 35 S. Beech
* Southwest Memorial Hospital
* Shear Shack Salon, 37 E. Main
* Silver Bean, 410 W. Main
* Sinclair Gas Station
* Spruce Tree Coffeehouse, 330 E. Main
* In front of Subway, 1835 E. Main
* The Farm Bistro, 18 E. Main
* Dolores Food Market, 400 Railroad Ave.
* Dolores River Brewery, 100 South 4th
* Ponderosa Restaurant, 108 South 8th
* Dove Creek Superette, 445 Hwy. 491
* Bread, 42 County Road 250
* Magpie Newsstand Cafe, 707 Main Ave.
* In front of El Rancho, 900 Block Main Ave.
* In front of Francisco's, 619 Main Ave.
* In front of Steamworks, 801 E. 2nd Ave.
* San Juan Regional Medical Center
* Absolute Bakery, 110 S. Main
* Fahrenheit Roasters, 201 W. Grand
* P&D Grocery, 280 E. Frontage Road
*San Juan Pharmacy
*Four Corners Inn
* Northern Navajo Medical Center